Saturday, May 21, 2011

Amscot-You're OK with Us!


The Dog Blog…mildly cliché I know, but it gets straight to the point of this collection of writing, which might also be cliché. I’m not quite sure yet. My dog is a small, feisty Pomeranian. She’s now eight months old, petite, fluffy, and black. However, contrary to popular belief, she is not a yappy, bitchy little dog. I think it might have something to do with where she came from.
My boyfriend promised me a dog for my birthday. My birthday hasn’t even arrived; I’m obviously impatient and persuasive. About three months ago, I began my hunt for a puppy-online of course. Animals from the pet stores are priced so expensively, that they must come potty trained, and by potty trained I mean they not only can use a real toilet, but they also don’t forget to put the seat down. Maybe I should have gotten my boyfriend from the pet store, too.
Eventually, I stumbled upon a small black Pomeranian that was six months old. It was in a close proximity, residing in Orlando, and was offered at a good price. I arranged to meet the man and drove to Orlando, where I was approached by a large African American man covered in tattoos, joined with gold flashy jewelry. He was accompanied by a 4 pound Pomeranian attached to a bright pink leash. Upon his arrival, I giggled to myself, lost in thought at the irony of the situation, but was extremely excited that it was not a creepy old woman that would give me the third degree about my life and whether I was a “fit” parent for her “little baby”, like I previously had encountered with some of my other inquiries.  Quickly jolting out of my previous thoughts and into reality, he asked for the money and I asked for the dog, and we each left the Amscot parking lot where he had arranged our meeting -him with 300 dollars in his pocket, and I with an undersized black Pomeranian.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked reading your post. It had me laughing from the beginning. And if you figure out how to train your boyfriend, let me know--my husband is in dire need of this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should be interesting, nothing like having an eight month old pomeranian puppy to take care of! I used to have one as well he was sooo entertaining in every way and I struggled for a long time trying to potty train him. Because life got in the way, I ended up having to give him away and I miss him dearly. I am looking forward to reading about your adventures with your new puppy and I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great story. I love Pomeranian's as well, and I am looking into purchasing one myself. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    I love your first post! It caught my attention because I am an avid dog lover and have been my entire life. You have a fun and light sense of humor that you showed in your post--which I thought was great. I hope you will add more little jokes in future posts! However, I am not clear on exactly what you will be writing about specifically. Will you be researching various dog training techniques? Other than that great post and good luck with the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Smg! First, I want to start by saying how humorous your story is. I can vividly see the contrast you painted in the Amscot parking lot in my mind. I have a love for dogs, and cannot wait to read more about your Pomeranian. Since I’m assuming your blog is going to be about training her, I might suggest looking at some of Cesar Millan and his techniques. I know some people find his methods extremely useful and “eye-opening,” but I also know others find his methods…unfriendly (?). Anyway, can’t wait to read more about you and your dog.
    ~A. Athas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the story, the title drew me in. I was wondering what how did Amscot and a blog about dogs mixed. I like the way you used details it made me feel like I watching a movie.

    ReplyDelete