Thursday, May 26, 2011

"Dog's Don't Know It's Not Bacon!"

0068113179078_500X500.jpgThis topic’s blog post is about dog food...



For all of you that have not closed your browser yet, I applaud you, because even I am tempted to close my browser.

One of my first issues when raising my dog was deciding which brands of dog foods and treats would be best for Lydia. I go to college, which basically means I am broke. Now that I have a dog, I am REALLY broke. I first began to purchase the cheapest brand I could find, Ol’ Roy-Puppy Complete.  I liked it because it was so inexpensive. I like almost everything that is inexpensive.

I fed Lydia the food for a week or two and noticed she was having trouble using the restroom, a nice way to put the disturbing shit I was having to clean up. I researched the brand and found that Ol’ Roy was named after Sam Walton’s, the founder of Walmart, dog and is manufactured by Walmart. Many dog owners had reported being unsatisfied with the low-fat, questionable ingredients used to make Ol’ Roy foods.  Reports show dogs eating this brand can have digestive problems, vomiting and diarrhea. Another common, but less severe reactions were rough and dry hair coats. Lydia’s hair is long enough, I don’t need it itching me, as well. I immediately switched her off of this food, and on to a more expensive brand, and will be posting my findings as soon as I come to a conclusion. However, her poop seems to be a little bit more solid.

When it comes to treats, I started giving her the Pedigree small dog treats and she started becoming very ill. I stopped giving her these as well, and began giving her Dentastix and Beggin’ Strips. Lydia absolutely loves Beggin’ Strips. When I feed her one, she literally reacts the same way the dog in the commercials acts. I can imagine in her head she's saying "BACON! BACON! BACON! BACON!" They are a great tool for teaching her certain tricks and training her. The dentastix and the small dog treats were both from Pedigree, and had different results, so I would assume those specific treats just did not agree with Lydia’s digestive system.
I would suggest to avoid Ol’ Roy, and to really listen to your dog. Well, not literally. If you start to understand and take advice from your dog, go to a hospital immediately, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU. However, I do think it is important to pay attention to your dogs bowel movements and realize that though your dog can’t verbally communicate with you, she can show you what is good and bad for her, and it’s not going to be pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment