Thursday, May 26, 2011

I'm too young to be a mom!

Before I got a dog, I mostly just wanted one because they were cute, and so I’d have something to play with when I was bored. Oh man, was I in for a surprise.

Before getting my dog, I was too excited, I think. I picked her name, Lydia, after a character I like in one of my favorite movies, Beetlejuice.  I bought her bowls, food, a leash, a bed, a pink dress with some bows-just kidding I’m not that crazy. I never once thought about buying a training book, looking up dog training schools or even vet costs. I could not even imagine the awakening I was about to experience.

I got her home and realized I had no food to feed her. I quickly went to rush to the store, then realized no one was home. Could dogs be left alone this young? I was worried she’d eat something off the floor that she wasn’t allowed to and choke, or she’d get lost in the mountain of dirty clothes I have and suffocate herself. I know, that sounds crazy now, but it crossed my mind. I decided she’d be okay, hopefully, and put her on the couch and left.

When I arrived at the University Walmart, which is by far the most terrifying place in the entire world, I stared at the vast array of dog food. How was I supposed to know which to choose? Should I go with the cheapest or should I go with the name brand? This is a topic I had to further research and will eventually discuss further in a later blog.

When I got home, she had peed on the couch and was sitting there crying. I then realized she was so tiny that she could not even jump down from the couch. She had been trapped the whole time I’d been debating her food choice. I then realized another hurtle I’d have to tackle, potty training. I hadn’t even considered how hard it’d be to potty train her.

Next, I tried telling her to “sit”, “roll over”, “lay down”, “stay”, and “shake”. Of course, she could not do any of these. She just stood there staring at me, wagging her tail. “My dog must be defective! She can’t even sit!” I thought to myself.

Before I got a dog, one of those crazy dog ladies I discussed in my last post told me, “This dog is my baby, and I want to make her your baby. This will be like raising a child. Are you prepared to be a mother?” After being instantly creeped out, I closed the email and thought, “That lady is crazy, I’m too young to be a mom. I just want a dog, dammit!” Little did I know, that crazy bitch was right. I’m an 18 year old mom. If only I could have made it on “16 and Pregnant”!

2 comments:

  1. SMG I completely love how honest you were with your first experience with your new dog. I find it hilarious that even adults who want dogs don't understand the type of time and money goes into having any pet; which is exactly why I don't have one!! The reason why I avoid babies (which is similar to the reason why I'd avoid the bubonic plague)is the same reason why I avoid the lure of cute cuddly pets; because they ultimately suck the life as well as money out of you. Not that I wouldn't want either one someday I just know I'm not ready for all of that. I wish you luck with Lydia and think you should do a post about your first visit to the vet, that way people can see that pet doctor visits can be just as bad as people doctor visits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea and I was actually thinking that I would discuss that, because trust me, the vet trips are an experience to say the least. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete