Sunday, June 12, 2011

Puppy Ugly

Pomeranians are known to experience a HORRIFIC, TERRIFYING, UNSIGHTLY stage in their puppy hood, known as the Puppy Ugly Stage. Too bad, their ugly stage is really not that ugly. They are still the most adorable things in the whole world.

The Puppy Ugly stage is the stage in which Poms lose their puppy fur to become the giant fluff balls everyone adores. This means their hair is thin in spots and they can experience some small balding areas. Pomeranian puppies are only born with one coat of fur and as they wait to develop their adult fur, they can appear scraggly and odd looking. Ironically, this stage is the development of the unique and beautiful aspect of the Pomeranian, their coat. Unlike the puppies, adult pom's have two coats-an undercoat and an overcoat. The under being short and rougher, the over being soft and long. These two coats will appear on the Pom's body at the same time, but in different spots.

Most of all Poms go through the stage, and it cannot necessarily be avoided, unless your dog is in the 20th percentile of Pomeranians. Between the ages of 8 and 14 months old, the puppy may experience this stage. However, if your Pomeranian is older than this, you need to contact a vet immediately.

Lydia is experiencing the stage on her lower back. I find it to be adorable because she looks like she has a lion's mane. Lydia cannot tell the difference, so neither can I. I am excited to see her full coat, but I'm going to miss this awkward pre-pubescent stage. At least she didn't get braces or glasses, too!

3 comments:

  1. I would like to say that I love "ugly" dogs. I think the uglier they are the cuter they are. But that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a boxer puppy that is six months old. I will argue that Boxers are the cutest! They have those wrinkly and mushy faces! So cute! But....they are one of the hardest breeds to potty train. Help me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boxers are really cute dogs. If I could fit one of those in my apartment, I would. So are pomeranians! I think the most important part is to remain consistent. If you are too tired to discipline her one day or something like that, it will get confused and think it's okay then, but when you discipline her later, she will have mixed signals. Also, I learned that if you didn't see them do it, you cannot punish them for it. However, I started bringing my dog over to the mess, pointing her head at it and saying no. Now, she knows whenever I say her name and point to one of her messes, that she did wrong and is in trouble.

    ReplyDelete